The Venture Portland Fall/Winter 2017-2018 Grant Applications are now available! *NEW* Catalytic Grant: Corporate Infrastructure Improvement: $1,000 (maximum award)*NEW* Catalytic Grant: District Staffing Kickstarter: $2,000 … Keep Reading ››
N Denver Avenue, now anchored by the state's iconic Paul Bunyan statue (built in 1959 for Oregon's centennial), was used to drive cattle to the Swift Meat Company in the early 1900s. Today, history and modern life meet in the Kenton Business District at the MAX stop across from the statue.
Did You Know?
- N Denver Avenue’s Kenton Hotel (8303 N Denver Ave) was built in 1909 by the Swift Meat Packing Company and was famous for its basement speakeasy, boxing and tunnels connecting Kenton’s ‘underground world’. Ghosts haunt the hotel that now houses Kenton Station.
- Kenton has a thriving food scene including the paleo-friendly Cultured Caveman (8233 N Denver Ave), the gastropub offerings of Swift and Union (8103 N Denver Ave) and the kid-friendly Posies Cafe (8208 N Denver Ave).
- PoShines (8139 N Denver Ave) has been dishing up soul food since 1990 and provides job skills to underprivileged and disadvantaged youth.
- Little Red Press (8124 N Denver Ave) boutique screen-printing shop that has made merchandise for the rock bands The Breeders, The Decemberists and Modest Mouse.
Signature Annual Events
- Street Fair (May)
- Paul Bunyan Beer Fest (September)
- Wooden Nickel (December)