Venture Portland’s Spring/Summer 2019 grant applications are now available! Economic Development Grants: $5,000-$10,000 (maximum award)Benchmark Grants: $3,000-$4,000 (maximum award)Catalytic Grant: District Staffing Kickstarter: $2,000 (maximum … Keep Reading ››
Board Roles and Responsibilities
As a board member, you have fiduciary (legal) responsibility for everything that your business district organization does. All authority in your board is delegated authority. That means that even if the board delegates responsibility to the President, Treasurer, Staffer or someone else, the board still has ultimate responsibility.
As a board member you are legally required to:
- Actively participate
- Serve the organization, not your, your business’s or your employer’s self-interest
- Act with duty, care and prudence to the organization
- Know and follow your bylaws, policies and other governing documents
- Review the organization’s financial statements and ensure that finances are handled appropriately
- Keep the organization’s confidences
- Support the majority decisions of your Board, even if you disagree
- Only act as the organization’s spokesperson when authorized to do so
- Ensure the board receives proper advice before voting, including seeking more information and/or consulting outside experts when needed
Let Venture Portland Help!
Board and officer roles are complicated. Venture Portland is here to help you! We can:
- Share job description templates to define board and officer roles for FREE
- Attend your next board meeting and answer questions about board and officer roles for FREE
- Conduct a board orientation as part of Venture Portland’s Fee for Service Consulting. Venture Portland will orient your board to your district, the board and the expectations of being a board member. Your board will function as a strong team with a clear purpose.
- Contact Venture Portland at email@example.com or 503.477.9648 to get started