Happy National Hot Dog Day! America’s favorite summer snack originated in Germany in the 13th century. In the late 1800’s, a German immigrant named Feuchtwanger … Keep Reading ››
Portland is Open for July 4th Weekend
This 4th of July weekend, we are grateful to once again be able to gather with friends and family, fire up the grill and enjoy great food, drinks and sunshine. Due to record breaking heat, Portland, along with many other cities in our region have banned the use of all fireworks, but there are still plenty of other ways to celebrate this year. For some ideas on where to venture out, browse this list of events from Travel Portland. As an added bonus, Trimet and Portland Streetcar will be offering FREE rides July 3-5. Finally, we have included a few businesses below that can help make your holiday weekend spectacular.
- Beaumont: Beaumont Hardware is your friendly neighborhood hardware store and frequently gives back to the community. You can count on them for anything you need including grilling supplies for your backyard BBQ.
- Central Eastside: A landmark Portland business for more than 20 years, Next Adventure has all the equipment you need for a weekend of outdoor recreation. If you are planning on grilling, make a stop by Sheridan Fruit Company, they have an extensive selection of house made sausages.
- Foster: Planning on heading into the woods this weekend? Foster Outdoor sells a variety of outdoor gear, clothing, paddle boards, and more. Catch some live music at Barrio, which will be hosting Lorna Miller this Friday, July 2.
- Gateway: As the name implies, the Portland Barbecue Shop is a hidden treasure of grilling supplies. BBQ accessories, smoking chips, spices, sauces and rubs are just a small sampling of what they carry.
- Kerns: Inspired by the regional cured hams of Europe, Tails and Trotters is the Pacific Northwest’s first signature pork producer developed from pork finished on local hazelnuts mirrored after the famed Jamon Iberico from Spain. Nearby is Providore Fine Foods, described as a food lover’s playground!
- Lents: Looking to celebrate the 4th with a quintessential barbecue? Save the trouble and swing by 76 BBQ for ribs, sliders, or one of their pub sandwiches with brisket, pulled pork, or smoked chicken.
- Midway: Longtime butcher shop, The Original Steer offers steaks, chops, roasts, poultry and pork, plus marinades and seasonings.
- Northwest District: Phil’s Meat Market is Portland’s neighborhood market for premium meats and fresh seafood. Their antibiotic and hormone-free meats, fish and poultry are cut to order right at the counter.
- Pearl District: If escaping the city for camping is your style, US Outdoor has top-brand gear and clothing for camping, climbing, cycling, fitness, hiking, paddling, skiing, snowboarding and more.
- Soul District: For meat products that are locally sourced – beef from Oregon Natural Meat, pork from Carlton Farms, chicken from Draper Valley – raised without added hormones, chemicals or additives, be sure to stop by Cason’s Fine Meats.
- St Johns: Ace Hardware is a quick stop for all of your backyard entertaining needs. RoM Shoes has a variety of apparel to keep you geared up for outdoor weekend activities.