While we may not agree on everything, one thing is certain – everyone loves pizza. So much so that we dedicate the entire month of … Keep Reading ››
Find Seasonal Apple Delights at These Neighborhood Businesses
Fall is harvest season and in October apples are in abundance at many orchards across Oregon. In fact, Oregon grows 170 million pounds of apples that generate $55 million each year. Here in Portland, neighborhood businesses create apple-infused treats of all kinds – from cider to pastries, pies, and more. Winter is right around the corner however, so act quickly if you want to enjoy the freshest apples and apple-inspired food and beverages before they are gone. Here are just a few:
- Alberta: Check out the selection at Imperial Bottle Shop, which has 28 taps and over 600 types of local craft beer, cider, wine, saké, and more. Their Alberta taproom currently offers an ample amount of safe, socially-distanced outdoor seating.
- Beaumont: Visit Grand Central Bakery for Columbia Gorge Apple Cider and Seasonal Pastries.
- Belmont Area: Southeast Portland’s Belmont Station offers more than 1,200 beers and ciders.
- Central Eastside: For a real cider spectacle, go to Schilling Cider House, which has the largest selection of draft ciders in the US including their fall seasonal spiced chai cider.
- Division/Clinton: Looking for something a little lighter? Sessionable is a pub specializing in lower alcohol styles of beer and cider that are traditionally underrepresented in the Northwest market.
- Foster: Swing by the Starday Tavern for a cider and say hello to Portland’s best bar dog/mascot: Genghis.
- Gateway: Visit Portland Bakery Delivery and get freshly baked and local apple pie. Better yet—looking for the perfect holiday gift? Order a beautiful, handcrafted apple fruit basket, custom made to ‘Keep Portland Happy’.
- Hawthorne: Portland Cider House is the Southeast outpost of Portland Cider Company and is currently featuring their seasonal Pumpkin Spice cider.
- Lents: Stock up on local apple varieties at ABC Produce LLC. Want to learn more about fall produce and seasonal vegetables? Zenger Farm will be hosting classes and events through October to help you get into spirit.
- Lloyd: Lloyd Farmers Market is open year round and features a variety of applies from Kiyokawa Family Orchards.
- Pearl: Not sure what style you prefer? Cider Bite has 32 ciders on tap and the owner knows his stuff – he was raised on an apple orchard outside of Eugene, OR.
- St. Johns: The St. Johns Farmer’s Market is open through October and features more than 40 vendors selling a variety of goods, including apples. Paiku makes organic artisan pies, is open for brunch, and will soon start accepting orders for holiday pies.
- Williams District: Blackthorn Mercantile features a bakery that produces a variety of delicious treats, including apple pie.