Jeff began his tenure working at Venture Portland in March of 2018 and has filled a few different roles during his time at the organization, … Keep Reading ››
Find St. Patrick’s Day Fun at These Local Businesses
Americans have been celebrating St. Patrick’s Day since 1737, when the first St. Patrick’s Day parade was held in Boston, Massachusetts. Nearly 30 million Americans claim Irish ancestry so you can expect lots of festivities happening city-wide. In previous years, 13 million pints of Guinness were served and cabbage shipments increased 70% leading up to the actual day! Celebrate with the All-Ireland Cultural Society of Oregon during their 82nd annual celebration or venture out and find festive brews and food specials at the businesses below.
- Alberta: T.C O’Leary’s is Alberta’s destination Irish pub and offers a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Stop by for a full day of music and entertainment on St. Patrick’s day.
- Beaumont: Enjoy $1 off all drafts and $2 off all crowler sales on St. Patrick’s Day at Tomorrow’s Verse Taproom, a bar for music lovers, by music lovers!
- Downtown: Kells Brewery is THE place to be on St Patrick’s Day. For the first time, they will be expanding their celebration to the SW waterfront for a day of live music, dancing, and fun. This list wouldn’t be complete without a mention of Paddy’s! Dubbed Portland’s oldest Irish pub, they have been serving traditional Irish food and drinks for more than 40 years. They will be hosting their annual St Patrick’s Festival which will include bagpipers, Irish dancers, and more. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Children’s Cancer Association.
- Hollywood: The Moon & Sixpence will be kicking off their St. Patrick’s Day festivities at 4pm with live music from three bands, plus 20 taps and a full dinner menu.
- Kerns: Wear your green and head to Katie O’Brien’s for Irish Stew, live music, and prizes. For some wholesome fun for kids and even grownups, check out the Oregon Irish Dance Academy (OIDA), which offers non-competitive Irish dancing for all ages.
- Lents: With a name like Shamrock Bar & Grill, you will be sure to find plenty of Irish food, drink, and cheer on St. Patrick’s Day and every other day of the year.
- Lloyd: For Guinness and a Scotch Egg, head to Rose & Thistle, a storied Scottish pub that has been pouring pints since 1991.
- Midway: Jody Whelan started Whelan’s Irish Pub in 2017 to bring a taste of his homeland to Portland. St. Patrick’s Day lasts all weekend here with an early opening at 12pm, all-day specials, and live Irish music!
- Overlook: The Yeates Academy of Irish Dance was established in Portland in 1985 and is the longest-running Irish dance school in Oregon.
- Stadium District: Leaky Roof has you covered for all things St. Patrick’s Day. Get your morning started with their Irish Benedict with corned beef or their Guinness Beef Stew for lunch.
- St. Johns: Enjoy a pint at The Garrison, an Irish-owned cocktail bar with a lovely heated patio.
This list is non-exhaustive. If we missed your favorite Irish-themed spot let us know. Show us how you are celebrating St Patrick’s Day on Instagram and Facebook.