The hamburger may be one of the only truly American culinary creations, which is why it is no surprise that May is National Hamburger Month. … Keep Reading ››
Portland Music Month: Celebrate Our Incredible Music Scene
Did you know Portland is home to over 300 live music venues, 5 indie radio stations, and over 20,000 recording and performing artists? That is why January is now officially Portland Music Month– a celebration of our City’s vibrant live music scene. Attend one (or several) of the 120 shows happening around town and help raise funds for our independent music creators. Other ways to celebrate include supporting Portland’s many record stores, musical instrument shops, and music teachers all month long. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Alberta: Catch a show at the Alberta Street Pub, which features local artists seven days-a-week on their expansive, partially covered, and heated patio.
- Beaumont: Tomorrow’s Verse Taproom regularly hosts live music, curated playlists, concert footage, live concert streams, and has an impressive vinyl selection.
- Foster: On most nights, The Starday Tavern presents free live music featuring up-and-coming local acts and veteran performers. Check out the calendar on their website for specific show info.
- Hawthorne: Housed in a former Masonic lodge, the Hawthorne Theatre hosts all-ages events ranging from live music, dance nights, comedians, art shows, and everything in between.
- Lents: Test out your singing chops during one of Eagle Eye Tavern’s karaoke nights–Friday and Saturday nights starting at 8pm.
- Lloyd: Check out some live music in a beautiful space! Steeplejack Brewing is a laid-back brewhouse in a stunning 111 year-old former church offering food and outdoor seating.
- Midway: Portland Music Company has sold instruments for every budget and skill level since 1927. Shopping for a musician but don’t know what they need? Can’t go wrong with a Portland Music Company gift card!
- Montavilla: Learn a new instrument! Montavilla Guitar Studio offers exploratory group classes and one-on-one lessons focused on developing musicianship through learning guitar, bass, ukulele, mandolin, piano, voice, and drums.
- Old Town: You’ll find rock shows, cabaret, and karaoke at Dante’s, Old Town’s famous music venue. They also serves up late-night pizza.
- St. Johns: Upgrade your gear at 3 Tracks Music, which specializes in new and vintage guitars, amps, and stringed instrument accessories. Since 1997, Vinyl Resting Place has been buying and selling records and CDs. Mark your calendar for their $1 record sales!