Giving Tuesday is here and neighborhood business districts are filled with the spirit of kindness and generosity – as well as holiday decorations, festive events … Keep Reading ››
Raise a Toast to Fall at These Neighborhood Bars and Cideries
Fall is harvest season and in October apples are in abundance at many orchards across Oregon. In fact, Oregon grows 170 million pounds of apples that generate $55 million each year. Here in Portland, cider is the main draw, with events like the annual Cider Summit bringing together local and international cidermakers for a celebration of all things apple. If you can’t participate in this year’s virtual celebration, there are plenty of places here in town to get your cider fix year-round. Here are just a few:
- Alberta: Check out the selection at Imperial Bottle Shop, which has 28 taps and over 600 types of local craft beer, cider, wine, saké and more. Their Alberta taproom currently offers an ample amount of safe, socially-distanced outdoor seating.
- Beaumont: The annual Beaumont Apple Sale is this Thursday, 10/15 from 2-6pm in Beaumont Middle School’s west parking lot. Proceeds go to support Beaumont Middle School.
- Belmont Area: Southeast Portland’s Belmont Station is back open and offers more than 1,200 beers and ciders also features an on-site cafe with food from Monk’s Deli.
- Central Eastside: For a real cider spectacle, go to Schilling Cider House, which has the largest selection of draft ciders in the US including their Fall seasonal spiced chai cider.
- Division/Clinton: Looking for something a little lighter? Sessionable is a pub specializing in lower alcohol styles of beer and cider that are traditionally underrepresented in the Northwest market.
- Greater Brooklyn: Try some small-batch, artisanal cider at Alter Ego Cider, which is women-owned and open for to-go orders.
- Hawthorne: Portland Cider House is the Southeast outpost of Portland Cider Company and is currently featuring their seasonal Pumpkin Spice cider.
- Lents: Visit Terminus Bottle and Tap for ciders from Boring Cider and Bull Run Cider on tap for either pints or growlers.
- Pearl: Not sure what style you prefer? Cider Bite has 32 ciders on tap and the owner knows his stuff – he was raised on an apple orchard outside of Eugene, OR.
- Soul District: Located in the new General Industry building, Swift makes craft hard cider using fresh-pressed, locally-grown apples, natural fermentation, and whole fruit and botanical infusions.
- Williams District: A cider crawl wouldn’t be complete without a trip to Reverand Nats Hard Cider, which has been crafting cider creations since 2013 and offers home delivery. Afterward pick up a pumpkin at participating Williams District businesses and get carving for your chance to win fabulous prizes.
This is a non-exhaustive list so there’s plenty more autumnal goodness to discover. What are you waiting for? Raise a toast to the flavors of fall at your friendly neighborhood cider slinger. Cheers!