This week, Venture Portland awarded $29,000 to fund 9 Spring/Summer Grant Projects in Portland’s neighborhood business districts citywide. Projects range from family-friendly events to shopping … Keep Reading ››
Shop Local Deals While Supporting Local Causes on Giving Tuesday and All Season Long
Today is Giving Tuesday and everywhere I look I am reminded of the magic of the holiday season and the generosity it inspires. Neighborhood business districts are filled with the spirit of giving – as well as holiday decorations, festive events and everything you need to make the season merry and bright.
Portland’s family of neighborhood business districts actively support neighborhood causes at twice the rate of national chains and show their gratitude to the Portlanders who keep them in business. In 2018 alone, Portland’s nonprofit neighborhood business associations donated more than $100,000 and 4,000 pounds of food to local charities city wide. Additionally, through ongoing district clean-ups, districts picked up more than 5,000 pounds of trash from streets, sidewalks and parks. In total, neighborhood businesses collectively contributed $1 million to help keep Portland a wonderful place to live, work and play for all.
And now it’s your turn. Neighborhood businesses have made it easy for you to give back this holiday season while also finding the perfect gifts for everyone on your list:
- Division/Clinton Bright Lights Warm Hearts (through 1/1) – Round up your purchase at Division/Clinton businesses to support local charities while you enjoy lighted window displays.
- Foster Forward (through 12/9) – Donate non-perishable food to Sunshine Division’s holiday food drive or spend more than $5 at participating Foster Area businesses and get a ticket that unlocks exclusive in-store flash sales, discounts and food and drink specials.
- Kenton’s Deck the Paul (12/7) – Donate non-perishable food while you flip the switch on Paul Bunyan’s giant wreath, and enjoy live music, kids activities and photos with Santa.
- Kenton Wooden Nickel (through 1/7) – Make a donation or shop at participating Kenton businesses and recieve Wooden Nickel Passport stickers for a chance to win gift cards.
- Montavilla Santa (and Harry) Saturday (12/8) – Donate non-perishable food for Sunshine Division and get your photo with Santa and/or Hanukkah Harry.
- NW Industrial Canned Food Drive (through 12/17) – Donate non-perishable food at participating NW Industrial businesses for Lift Urban Portland.
- Sellwood Decemberville (12/1) – Participate in a toy and clothing drive for Raphael House and make your holiday merry and bright with kids activities and specials at Sellwood retailers.
- Williams Gives: Giving Tuesday (11/27) – Give back by shopping at participating Williams District businesses that are donating 10% of sales to district charities.
- Williams Gives: Giving Trees (through 12/20) – Look for Giving Trees in participating Williams District businesses and donate to make the season merry and bright for children and housebound seniors in need.
Venture Portland, and neighborhood business districts, know that the business of Portland is about a lot more than just business. It’s about people, neighborhoods and culture. It’s about growing the economy to grow prosperity. Building capacity to build the city. And connecting capital, creativity and community. It’s about growing business and connecting neighborhoods and making more out of the neighborhood business districts we call home.
Thank you for your continued support. This holiday season I hope you’ll take a moment to #PledgeLocalPDX, plan a visit to one of Portland’s 50 neighborhood business districts and discover why they make Portland a truly world-class city. I wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous 2019.
Heather Hoell, Executive Director
PS – Don’t forget you can always support Portland’s 50 neighborhood business districts with a contribution to Venture Portland. It’s a gift that keeps on giving all year long!