Monday, January 18th, is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day. We celebrate the life of this great civil rights leader with a day of service. … Keep Reading ››
Start a New Holiday Tradition with Our Neighborhood Dining Guide
Everyone has their own holiday traditions and for many they revolve around food. While we may not be able to sample Grandma’s cookies or share a decadent feast with family this year, there are plenty of neighborhood restaurants that are stepping in and whipping up special delights to make your holidays merry and bright. Whether you are looking for sweet or savory, you have plenty of options during Hannukah, Christmas and New Year’s. Here are a few ideas to warm your soul and get you in the spirit of the season.
- Beaumont: Skip the milk and cookies, give Santa a growler! Blind Ox Taphouse will offer $8 growler fills starting 12/20; Grand Central Bakery will have traditional Italian Sweetbread Panettone, made with local ingredients.
- Belmont: Try something new this season at Mirisata, which is preparing a special holiday pre-order of lamprais, a dish that combines Sri Lankan spices with Dutch influences.
- Central Eastside: Le Pigeon’s Holiday Bird Box is a dinner for four, available for pre-order and pick-up on 12/23. Next door, the Canard Lasagna Bottle Shop is a one-stop-shop for dinner and gifts with take and bake lasagnas, snacks and gifts from local artisans. Dóttir is offering Icelandic holiday dinners that come with roasted delicata and kabocha squash, and a spicy green salad with seed brittle.
- Division/Clinton: Keep the holiday cheer flowing with SE Wine Collective’s wine packs. The first 20 pack orders get free wine bottle gift box wrapping. Magna has created the Noche Buena Meal Kit. Options include ribeye with calamansi-onion jam and tamarind butter, or lechon liempo (roast pork belly) stuffed with scallion and lemongrass and served with liver sauce.
- Downtown: Bullard has Christmas and New Year’s Dinner Specials available for pick-up plus Hot Chocolate Kits, Red Velvet Layer Cake, Chocolate Chess Pie, Bourbon Pecan Pie, and other sweet treats.
- Foster: You know them for their coffee but Pieper Café is also taking pre-orders for holiday cakes, pies, cookies and bags of Juniors coffee beans. Orders must be placed by 12/17 for pick-up on 12/24.
- Gateway: Spice things up this holiday season with Siam Grill which is serving up Thai classics and lunch specials with delivery available.
- Hollywood: Pre-order sweet treats like Stollen, Panforte, Burnt Basque Cheesecake and Pecan Pie from Bakeshop by 12/20 for pick-up on 12/24.
- Lents: Bella’s Italian Bakery & Market is offering seasonal specials including Pizza Ebraica which is unique to Rome’s Jewish Quarter and Panettone.
- Montavilla: Sebastiano’s has “Primo” Cookie platters, Italian Rainbow Cookies, Olive Oil Cakes, Brioche Rolls, Sicilian Cookies, and Sicilian biodynamic wine available for pick-up 12/23 and 12/24.
- Multnomah Village: Marco’s Café is cooking up special holiday baked ham dinners or quiche brunches for pick-up on 12/23 or 12/24 and Yalla has a Christmas Eve Prime Rib Dinner for two available for pre-order through 12/21.
- Pearl District: Mediterranean Exploration Company will host their 1st Annual Holiday Bazaar on 12/19 from 12-3pm. Shop for holiday gifts from local artisans plus a selection of wines, baked goods, and gift certificates.
- St. Johns: Give the gift of pie this season! Paiku is currently taking holiday meal and dessert orders and is also offering indoor picnic packages with assorted salads, bread, cookies and pie. If it is a Turkey Feast you are after, check out Exuberance Catering’s Holiday Feasts.