Juneteenth is a day that commemorates the end of slavery in the United States. In Oregon, lawmakers recently voted to make the day a legal … Keep Reading ››
Cinco de Mayo Celebrations and Mother’s Day Specials at Neighborhood Businesses
With Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) and Mother’s Day (May 9th) falling so closely together, we are combining these celebrations into one newsletter this week! Unfortunately, the annual Portland Cinco de Mayo Fiesta at Tom McCall Waterfront Park has been postponed this year, but there are plenty of other ways to celebrate the occasion (see our list below). Don’t forget to do something special for the mothers in your life this weekend, we wouldn’t be who we are without them. Hopefully our suggestions below can help provide some inspiration.
- Beaumont: There is never a bad time to stop by Tacovore for tacos and a margarita, but Cinco de Mayo is the perfect excuse. Celebrate your mother with a bouquet of flowers from the Beaumont Florist or discover Mother’s Day gift ideas at The Arrangement.
- Belmont: A fun spring pop-up market is happening this Saturday at the Goat Blocks. There will be 55 local brands and makers to check out. Enjoy a day out with Mom!
- Central Eastside: If Mexican comfort food and margaritas made from scratch sounds like your speed this Cinco de Mayo, then be sure to check out Que Pasa. They even have a covered patio perfect for those spring rain showers.
- Eastmoreland: The Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden is a beautiful place to visit this time of year. Enjoy the rhododendrons blooming in all of their glory and check out their plant sale kicking off this Friday.
- Foster: What better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than brunch? For vegan or vegetarian options, enjoy some quality time with Mom at Off The Griddle!
- Hawthorne: Whether you are looking for jewelry, lovely candles, relaxing bath bombs, or greeting cards, Presents of Mind has a wide selection of gifts for Mom.
- Hillsdale: Have a Cinco de Mayo picnic with Verde Cocina! The package includes a cocktail, entrée, chips and guac, cheesecake and other goodies.
- Kerns: Pick up some truly decadent treats from Pix Patisserie. They are offering a special Mother’s Day Tea Kit which features a selection of sweet and savory treats fully prepared and ready to serve on their own decorative platter.
- Lents: Bella’s Italian Bakery & Market has a variety of breads, pastries, freshly filled cannoli, made-to-order sandwiches and more. Get a nice spread to celebrate Mother’s Day.
- Lloyd: Get Mom’s jewelry cleaned at Nielsen’s Jewelers, a family run shop with an easy-going atmosphere and welcoming service.
- Multnomah Village: Marco’s Café will be offering a special Mother’s Day Brunch menu featuring a Lychee Rose Mimosa, Dungeness Crab Omelet and Quiche Lorraine.
- Pearl District: Neighborhood cocktail spot The Botanist is bringing Latin rhythms for Cinco de Mayo provided by the band Son De Cuba. Sounds like a blast! Be sure to register early as space will be limited. While you are in the area, pick up a special card for you mom at Oblation Papers.