This 4th of July weekend, we are grateful to be able to gather with friends and family, fire up the grill, and enjoy great food, … Keep Reading ››
Find St. Patrick’s Day Fun at These Local Businesses
Americans have been celebrating St. Patrick’s Day since 1737, when the first St. Patrick’s Day parade was held in Boston, Massachusetts. Nearly 30 million Americans claim Irish ancestry so this year expect bigger festivities compared to the toned down celebrations in 2020 and 2021. In previous years, 13 million pints of Guinness were served and cabbage shipments increased 70% leading up to the actual day! Celebrate with the All-Ireland Cultural Society of Oregon during their 2nd Virtual St. Patrick’s Day on March 17th or you can venture out and find festive brews and food specials at the businesses below.
- Alberta: T.C O’Leary’s is Alberta’s destination Irish pub and offers a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Stop by for a full day of music and entertainment on St. Patrick’s day.
- Beaumont: Enjoy the patio life at Hi-Top Tavern which will offer a St. Patrick’s Day special of Braised Corn Beef and Purple Cabbage and will open at noon for the NCAA tournament.
- Downtown: Kells Irish Pub is THE place to be on St Patrick’s Day. They will be shutting down the street for a day of live music, dancing, and fun. This list wouldn’t be complete without a mention of Paddy’s! Dubbed Portland’s oldest Irish pub, they have been serving traditional Irish food and drinks for more than 40 years. They will be hosting their annual St Patrick’s Festival which will include bagpipers, Irish dancers, and more. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Children’s Cancer Association.
- Gateway: McGillicuddy’s Sport’s Bar is celebrating their 28th anniversary this year and will have Corned Beef and Cabbage as well as several drink specials.
- Kerns: Wear your green and head to Katie O’Brien’s for Irish Stew and a marching band performance. For some wholesome fun for kids and even grownups, check out the Oregon Irish Dance Academy (OIDA), which offers non-competitive Irish dancing for all ages.
- Lents: Get a lucky shamrock when you eat at Flipside Bar and Carts through 3/17. Each shamrock enters you to win $100 in food cart gift certificates, plus enjoy drink specials with your meal.
- Lloyd: Join Rose & Thistle to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Born Cosmic and Mitch & The Melody Makers. Music will start around 8pm.
- Midway: For an authentic Irish experience try Whelan’s Irish Pub, which is Irish-owned and operated by Jody Whelan. You can always count on them for fine Irish food, drink, and live music.
- Overlook: The Yeates Academy of Irish Dance and Molly Malone Irish Dancers were established in Portland in 1985 and is the longest running Irish dance school in Oregon.
- Stadium District: Leaky Roof has you covered for all things St. Patrick’s Day. Get your morning started with their Irish Benedict with corned beef or their Guinness Beef Stew for lunch.
- St. Johns: Enjoy a pint at The Garrison, an Irish-owned cocktail bar with a lovely heated patio.
- Williams District: Stop by Shine Distillery and check out their balcony patio. They will offer a St. Patty’s Steak Night Special from 4-9pm. If you are looking for something different than your typical St. Patrick’s celebrations, book a reservation at DIY Bar. They will host a macrame weave workshop on 3/17 from 6-9pm.