It’s time to put your money where your heart is, Portland! Small business owners citywide have teamed up to create holiday magic with dazzling lights, … Keep Reading ››
Find St. Patrick’s Day Fun at These Local Businesses
Americans have been celebrating St. Patrick’s Day since 1737, when the first St. Patrick’s Day parade was held in Boston. According to Insider.com nearly 60% of American’s plan to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, with 79% of those individuals sporting some green. In previous years, 13 million pints of Guinness were served and cabbage shipments increased 70% leading up to the actual day! While traditional parades and large group meet ups are off limits, there are still plenty of ways to celebrate. The All-Ireland Cultural Society of Oregon is hosting a Virtual St’s Paddy’s Day on March 17th and you can find festive brews and food specials at the businesses below.
- Alberta: T.C O’Leary’s is Alberta’s destination Irish pub and offers a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Stop by for a full day of music and entertainment on St. Paddy’s day.
- Beaumont: Blind OX Taphouse is serving craft brews, specialty beer, cider, wine, local foods, and boozy alcohol-infused liquid nitrogen ice cream. Enjoy the patio life at the welcoming Hi-Top Tavern which will be offering a St. Patrick’s Day Special of Braised Corn Beef and Purple Cabbage served with Red Bliss Salt Potatoes, and smothered with Guinness Gravy.
- Downtown: Kells is a go to Irish Pub that is reopening just in time for St Paddy’s Day. Give their Irish Lamb Stew to try while enjoying live music. This list wouldn’t be complete without a mention of the Paddy’s! Dubbed Portland’s oldest Irish pub, they have been serving traditional Irish food and drinks for over 40 years. They will be hosting their annual St Patrick’s Festival which will include Bagpipers, Irish Dancers and more. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Children’s Cancer Association.
- Foster Area: Favela Brazilian Café is celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with Brazilian Green Soup (caldo verde) and special green beers and drinks. Favela will also be staying open late (9pm). Wear green and get a discount!
- Kerns:Wear your green and watch your favorite team at Katie O’Brien’s. For some wholesome fun for the kids and even the grownups, check out the Oregon Irish Dance Academy (OIDA), which offers non-competitive Irish dancing for all ages.
- Lents: Break out your green thumb for St. Paddy’s Day. DEANS has all the soils, composts, planting mixes and more for your next garden project.
- Midway: For an authentic Irish experience try Whelan’s Irish Pub, which is Irish owned and operated by Jody Whelan. You can always count on them for fine Irish food, drink and craic (Irish slang for fun and enjoyable conversation and entertainment).
- Northwest District: Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and win prizes at the 4th Annual Wearing the Green Event! Snap a photo of you and your friends in NW Portland wearing green and post on Instagram to be entered to win.
- Overlook: The Yeates Academy of Irish Dance and Molly Malone Irish Dancers were established in Portland, Oregon in 1985 and is the longest running Irish dance school in Oregon.
- Stadium District: Leaky Roof has you covered for all things St. Patrick’s Day. Get your morning started with their Irish Benedict with corned beef or their Guinness Beef Stew for lunch.