It is an exciting year when February brings us one additional day to support local businesses in Portland! This article from Here Is Oregon makes … Keep Reading ››
Portland Music Month: Celebrate Our Incredible Music Scene
Did you know Portland is home to over 300 live music venues, 5 indie radio stations, and over 20,000 recording and performing artists? That is why January is Portland Music Month– a celebration of our City’s vibrant live music scene. Attend one (or several) of the hundreds of shows happening around town and help raise funds for our independent music creators. Other ways to celebrate include supporting Portland’s many record stores, musical instrument shops, and music teachers all month long. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Alberta: Catch a show at the Alberta Street Pub, which features local artists seven days a week on their expansive, partially covered, and heated patio.
- Beaumont: Tomorrow’s Verse Taproom regularly hosts live music, curated playlists, concert footage, live concert streams, and has an impressive vinyl selection.
- Central Eastside: The Lollipop Shoppe is one of Portland’s newest live music venues and features a full bar and food from Papi Sal’s.
- Foster: Known as the “most OKest bar,” Starday Tavern hosts live music most nights of the week, including drum & bass, punk, alt-country, and more.
- Hawthorne: Housed in a former Masonic lodge, the Hawthorne Theatre hosts all-ages events ranging from live music, dance nights, comedians, art shows, and everything in between.
- Lents: The Eagle Eye Tavern is a cozy little dive bar known for friendly patrons, local brews, art, and best of all, karaoke! Sing your heart out two nights a week, on Sunday & Monday nights.
- Midway: Portland Music Company has everything you need to make music at any level. From beginner supplies to professional accessories, they are a one-stop shop for Portland musicians.
- Mississippi Ave: One of Portland’s favorite music venues Mississippi Studios is owned and operated by musicians and is a local hub for the Portland music scene and national touring acts, alike!
- Montavilla: Learn a new instrument! Montavilla Guitar Studio offers exploratory group classes and one-on-one lessons focused on developing musicianship through learning guitar, bass, ukulele, mandolin, piano, voice, and drums.
- Old Town: You’ll find rock shows, cabaret, and karaoke at Dante’s, Old Town’s famous music venue. They also serve pizza into the wee hours of the night.
- Soul District: Since 2015 Musique Plastique has specialized in selling post-punk, electronic, and world music records.
- St. Johns: Whether you’re a professional player wanting a better set-up for touring or someone looking for advice on your first guitar, 3 Tracks Music can help you on your quest.
- Williams District: Founded in 1998, Ethos Music Center is a nonprofit that provides music lessons, multicultural performances, and outreach to thousands of students each year.