Giving Tuesday is here and business districts are filled with the spirit of kindness and generosity – as well as holiday decorations, festive events, and everything … Keep Reading ››
Raise a Glass to Portland Breweries on National IPA Day
With nearly 70 breweries, Portland is known as ‘Beervana.’ Ask any Portland beer lover their favorite style and you are most likely to hear ‘IPA’, the hoppy style that many local breweries hang their hats on. In fact, the American version of the IPA was pioneered by now shuttered Portland brewery, Bridgeport. August 4th is National IPA Day, which began as a modest online celebration of the style but has grown into a global celebration of craft beer. Join the celebration by trying one (or many!) of the unique IPAs produced by Portland breweries. Here’s a few of our favorites:
- Alberta: Summer is the perfect time for Hazy IPAs and no one does it better than Great Notion. Check out their latest IPA called Patterns, which is a Hazy Double IPA dry-hopped with Riwaka and Citra hops.
- Beaumont: Tomorrow’s Verse Taproom has 4 IPAs on tap, plus live music, curated playlists, concert footage, live concert streams, and a top-notch vinyl selection.
- Foster: It’s all in the name. Unlimited IPA has an IPA-centric rotation of unique taps, plus a wide selection of bottles and cans to-go.
- Gateway: Gateway Brewing’s “Exit 7 IPA” is a fan favorite and for a limited time they are offering a grapefruit IPA called “The Squeeze” available in growlers and kegs directly from the brewery.
- Hillsdale: Located in the heart of historic Hillsdale, Sasquatch Brewing is also the social center of this community. Their Woodboy IPA is piney, citrusy, hoppy and bitter.
- Lents: Zoiglhaus is the award-winning brewery in the heart of Lents is celebrating National IPA Day with $1 off their ZOIGL-IPA (draft only). Stop in The Zed and enjoy a pint brewed right on-site. For an extra treat, pair your pint with a bite from one of the many food stalls.
- Lloyd: For a side of sports with your IPA, visit Spirit of ’77, with games on multiple screens, food, and cocktails.
- Midway: Sure they’ve got Guinness, but Whelan’s Irish Pub also has IPA to go with your Bangers and Mash.
- Montavilla: Threshold Brewing and Blending specializes in IPAs and experimental ales and sources their hops locally. Their Purple Sunshine is a New England style IPA with Amacha tea and Citra hops brewed in collaboration with Far Yeast Brewing.
- Pearl District: Von Ebert Brewing took home the gold medal at the 2021 Oregon Beer Awards with their Volatile Substance IPA. Give it a try!
- Sellwood: Enjoy a cheesesteak with your IPA at 13 Virtues Brewing. Their Orange Hazy IPA is perfect for summer sipping.
- Williams District: Visit Migration Brewing for plenty of IPA options. One of our favorites is “Straight Outta Portland,” a lovely west coast IPA. Right next door at Grains of Wrath they shine with their “Overkill” IPA that is light bodied with a toasty malt backbone.