Jeff began his tenure working at Venture Portland in March of 2018 and has filled a few different roles during his time at the organization, … Keep Reading ››
Renew Your District’s Venture Portland Membership Today!
2023 Membership Benefits
*NEW* Major Impact Grant Awards (up to $50,000!)
Thanks to additional funding from the American Rescue Plan Act, we created a brand-new summer grant cycle where member business district associations can apply for up to $50,000 for long-term staffing, large-scale district infrastructure, and other projects!
Biannual Capacity Building Grants
In addition to the new Major Impact Grant Awards, your district can also boost its bottom line and apply for up to $12,000 during our regular Spring and Fall grant cycles.
- Marketing and Membership Grants – provide tactical financial support for year-over-year growth
- District Enhancement Grants – fund physical improvements that enhance customer/visitor experience, reinforce district identity, and promote your district as a destination
- Staffing Grants – invest in first-time or ongoing district staffing
- Grants Office Hours – provide grant planning, writing, implementation, and evaluation support
Introducing Venture Portland’s Events Hub! The newest digital and in-person resource for Business District Associations (BDAs) and their member businesses to take advantage of as they plan and throw unforgettable events.
- Information & Assistance – get answers to all your events-related questions
- Boots on the Ground – we can visit your venue to see the space, connect in person, and begin collaborating
- Consulting – if you don’t know where to begin, we provide a consulting service that helps you design a step-by-step plan
- Member Meetups – join us in a different district each month as we get together to enjoy fun events, local businesses, and great conversation
Webinars and Panel Discussions
Our free, monthly webinars and panel discussions are open to our member districts and their member businesses. They are a great opportunity to network with business district colleagues, address challenges, strengthen your programs and achieve success for your district and its businesses.
- Just Ask Jacob & Joy (quarterly) – connects Presidents with fellow district leaders and Venture Portland senior staff
- YouTube Channel – get access to our archive of webinars from the past 3 years
Personalized Technical Assistance
Venture Portland staff can assist with questions in all areas of business association operations, including economic development, governance, membership, revenue, and personnel.
- Samples, Tools, & Resources – an expansive collection of templates for all things BDA related
- Fee-for-Service Consulting – expanded menu provides design, membership, staffing, and strategic governance options with deeply discounted member prices (see Consulting Menu)
- Annual Check-Up™ – helps associations implement best practices and prioritize activities with easy-to-use templates
- Mentoring Connections – links business district leaders to discuss shared issues and best practices
Marketing and Promotion
Stretch your reach and your marketing dollars with Venture Portland’s e-blasts, social media, and website.
- Weekly Press Release – sent to our media list and our list of 2,500+ subscribers, highlights district events, promotions, and businesses
- Friday Email – a weekly letter from Venture Portland’s Executive Director with updates about Venture Portland activities and business district-related news
- org – continually updated with district-related information including district profiles, resources, training videos, news, a business district map, and more.
- Social Media – business district-related posts to 5,400+ followers on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Small Business Portland Podcast – features interviews with business district leaders and industry-specific developments
- Sponsorship Opportunities – get your business or district featured on our e-blasts, website, and webinars
City Hall Support
Venture Portland has strong relationships with elected officials, bureau staff, opinion leaders, and community stakeholders.
City Council Liaison – Mayor Wheeler’s office provides direct support to neighborhood businesses and business districts
Representation on Venture Portland’s Board of Directors
As a current member of Venture Portland, your business district association (BDA) may choose to nominate one of your current board members to be on the Venture Portland Board of Directors. As a member of Venture Portland, your BDA is NOT required to have (or to nominate) one of your own board members to serve on the Venture Portland Board of Directors.
Criteria for Nominations:
We highly encourage you to nominate a person who:
- Currently works at a business within your district
- Is a current member of your board
- Demonstrates a high level of confidentiality, loyalty, and active volunteerism
- Has time to dedicate up to ten hours per month to the Venture Portland Board of Directors
- Understands that they represent your BDA rather than representing their own goals and/or agenda
- Will act as the liaison between your board and Venture Portland’s Board of Directors
- Brings new ideas, has a positive “working” attitude, and who represents your district and your board
This position is ideal for your new board members who may have limited experience on a Board. Serving as a Venture Portland Board member will give them insights into governance, advocacy, and trainings that they can then share with your own board.