The holiday season is upon us and business districts all around Portland have been buzzing with cheer! How are you supporting local businesses this season? Shop … Keep Reading ››
Celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month at These Neighborhood Businesses
May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, a celebration of the generations of Asians and Pacific Islanders who have enriched America’s history and are instrumental in its future success. With the increase in violence targeting people of Asian descent and Asian-owned businesses, Portlanders must stand in solidarity with our Asian American Community members and denounce these harmful actions. Please consider lending your voice to others across our City and calling to Stop Asian Hate and support local Asian-owned businesses and organizations including the ones listed below.
- Alberta: Alberta is home to numerous Asian-owned restaurants. Get your noodle fix satisfied at Yang’s Noodle. Zilla Sake is Portland’s first sake bar, which pairs nicely with its sushi-centric menu. And for authentic Japanese ramen, check out Akasaru Ramen.
- Beaumont: Sabiang Thai is a cozy corner Thai restaurant with vegan and gluten-free options and a strong emphasis on local ingredients.
- Downtown: You will find local favorites Luc Lac and Duck House in Downtown Portland. The Portland Art Museum is also worth a stop to appreciate their Asian Art Collection which contains more than 4,000 objects.
- Foster: If a banh mi and Vietnamese iced coffee for $10 wasn’t enough, An Xuyen Bakery also has a wide array of pastries and other dessert items (can’t go wrong with the macaroons!)
- Gateway: Established in 1994, IRCO Pacific Islander and Asian Family Center (PIAFC) was the very first culturally and linguistically specific community center in Portland focused on the diverse needs of Pacific Islanders and Asians.
- Hawthorne: Tibet Spirit is the dream of Lhekshy Gyatso from the Amdo province of Tibet. Everything in the store is hand selected, one-of-a-kind items for meditation and ritual to clothing and mouse pads. Down the street, Road to Tibet Imports carries a diverse selection of items for Buddhist practice, such as Tibetan Prayer Flags, Tibetan Prayer Wheels, Tibetan Prayer Bells and Dorjes, Tibetan Singing Bowls, and more. Finally Potala Imports specializes in authentic Tibetan jewelry as well as various dharma items and other handicrafts from Tibet, India and Nepal.
- Jade District: The Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon (APANO) unites Asians and Pacific Islanders to build power, develop leaders, and advance equity through organizing, advocacy, community development, and cultural work. For a taste of what the Jade District has to offer, experience the Asian shopping center Fubonn or enjoy a number of Asian restaurants such as Pho Hung, Ha VL, Thai Fresh and many others!
- Lents: The Asian Health & Services Center is a great resource offering social support, wellness groups, mental health care and education to the Asian Community.
- Montavilla: You’ll get treated like family at Pai Tong Thai, which has been serving Thai cuisine in Montavilla since 2006.
- Old Town: Spring is a great time to stop by the Lan Su Chinese Garden. It features a beautiful pond, Chinese architectural features and a tea shop. They also have upcoming programming to celebrate AAPI Heritage Month. While you are in the area, stop by the Japanese American Museum of Oregon and discover the history of Japanese Americans in Oregon. The Portland Chinatown Museum has not reopened yet but you can still view some of their exhibit information online. After you have worked up an appetite, stop by Golden Horse Restaurant or Chen’s Good Taste to satisfy your hunger.
- St Johns: Big Kahuna’s BBQ is the place to go if you have a big appetite! They serve all the classics from Hawaiian mac, pork belly and Spam! Thai Cottage is a quaint Thai restaurant with sidewalk seating serving street eats, traditional dishes and seasonal picks. Banh Mi Up serves fresh Vietnamese food including a variety of banh mi sandwiches served on fresh baguettes.