Giving Tuesday is here and neighborhood business districts are filled with the spirit of kindness and generosity – as well as holiday decorations, festive events … Keep Reading ››
Discover the Spirit of Halloween at Portland’s Small Businesses
Halloween is just a few days away! Neighborhood businesses are hosting COVID-friendly fun for both kids and adults. While traditional trick or treating might be off the table, you can still get your kicks with costume contests, pumpkin carving, scavenger hunts and more. This year make your socially distant Halloween magical by shopping local. Here are a few safe ways to get into the spirit of Halloween while supporting small businesses.
- Beaumont: Don your scariest mask and visit the Pic or Treat photo booth at The Arrangement. Take a photo, grab a goodie bag and post it on Instagram for a chance to win prizes.
- Central Eastside: So the community can come together safely to celebrate Day of the Dead, Cargo is creating an outdoor offerenda. The collaboration includes café de olla from Revolución Coffee House, dark roast coffee beans from Reforma Roasters, Pan de Muerto from Dos Hermanos and art work from local artists.
- Foster Area: Submit your photos to Portland Mercado, who will host a Dias de las Muertos Altar, along with vendors to usher in the beginning of their Winter Mercado Fair (which runs weekly until mid-February).
- Greater Brooklyn: Sign up for a wine and candy pairing with Hip Chicks Do Wine and try
5 candies paired with 5 wines plus a sample of their Seasonal Witches Brew Sangria.
- Mississippi Ave: Bring your family to Mississippi Ave on Halloween for the Great PDX Pumpkin Hunt (costumes encouraged!) and follow the clues on Instagram to find pumpkins and take a selfie with each one.
- Montavilla: Play BINGO and win a $100 Gift Card! Now through December, Montavilla is holding a virtual BINGO contest! Each week a new group of businesses will be featured. Visit 4 participating businesses in person (where applicable) or online each week to receive an entry to win.
- Multnomah Village: The Multnomah Village Halloween Costume and Pumpkin Decorating Contest will take place via Facebook starting on October 29th. Entries will be judged by categories including ‘best homemade’, ‘best group’, ‘best pun’ and ‘best pet’.
- NW District: Enjoy a day of Autumn splendor and fresh air at the Northwest District Harvest Faire! Post a picture of your favorite purchases or fun dining experience on social media for a chance to win prizes.
- Old Town: Portland’s most haunted neighborhood is taking to the streets on Halloween night for a block party featuring a costume contest and pumpkin decorating.
- St Johns: Show off your most frightening pumpkin creation at the St. Johns Pumpkin Giveaway and Decorating Contest! Pick up a free pumpkin at participating businesses, decorate them at home and post a public photo to Instagram for a chance to win!
- Williams District: Create the grossest gourd for the Williams District Pumpkin Carving Contest and you could win! Pick up a free pumpkin at participating businesses and post on Instagram by October 30th to enter.
This list is non-exhaustive so there are plenty more ways to celebrate Halloween in neighborhood business districts. How are you getting into the spirit while supporting small? Show us on Instagram and Facebook.