Oregon’s historic wildfires continue to test communities already spread thin by a year of hardships. Across Portland, neighborhood businesses made the decision to protect their … Keep Reading ››
Say Goodbye to Summer with These Labor Day Specials and Events
This Labor Day weekend we honor and recognize the American labor movement and the works and contributions of laborers to the development and achievements of the United States. Did you know that Oregon was the first state to make Labor Day an official holiday in 1887? These days Labor Day weekend is one of the biggest shopping weekends of the year and many of Portland’s neighborhood businesses are doing something special. Here’s just a few ideas to help you say goodbye to summer in style:
- Beaumont: Several shops on Fremont are hosting a Labor Day Sidewalk Sale this weekend.
- Central Eastside: Come thru and get yourself some fresh foods from local producers and growers at the Black and Indigenous Market.
- Division/Clinton: Zahara Boutique’s summer blowout sidewalk sale will have multiple racks of women’s apparel, clothing and jewelry with clearance pricing; Collage has art and craft supplies, collectibles and select merchandise on sale for 50% or more.
- Greater Brooklyn: Get a flight of 3 wines and 3 sangrias for $15 at Hip Chicks Do Wine.
- Hawthorne: Explore the Hawthorne Street Fair from the comfort of your couch with Hawthorne at Home.
- Kenton: Shop local and support BIPOC vendors at Denver Ave Plaza on Saturday and Sunday.
- Kerns: Enjoy $2 mimosa refills at Eastburn Public House’s Labor Day brunch.
- Mississippi Ave: Try a special Labor Day wine tasting at 45 North Wine Bar and Bistro.
- Old Town: Enjoy scavenger hunts and educational displays during Lotus Blooms at Lan Su Chinese Garden.
- Pearl District: Shop for local art from 120 different artists plus get a peek behind the scenes at Art in the Pearl online.
- Sellwood Moreland: Get rolling with outdoor roller skating hosted by the Rose City Rollers at Oaks Amusement Park.
- St. Johns: Watch Black Panther on the big screen at St. John’s Summer Pop-up Park on Friday; Get 20% at Club Sky High.
- South Waterfront: Check out a pop-up drive-in theater at Zidell Yards presented by Northwest Film Center and Portland Art Museum.
Labor Day weekend looks a little different this year but there’s still plenty of ways to #SupportSmallPDX. No matter how you choose to celebrate, remember to wear a mask, wash your hands and socially distance to ensure a safe holiday for all.